Local Council Guidance

Local Council Guidance

On this page we list some of the ways in which the local councils are providing and gathering information.


Online Checker for Home Improvement Projects
The Greater Cambridge Shared Planning Service has launched a user-friendly online checker to help home owners find out if planning permission is needed for home improvement projects such as
dormer windows, fence installations, outbuildings, front porches, flue installations and more! The
checker can be found here.

For those thinking about installing solar panels, check out the dedicated webpage for planning permission requirements here.

If still unclear, then book the free 15 minute advice pre-app session by clicking here.


Are you claiming the rights benefits?
South Cambridgeshire DC is making a big push to raise awareness of benefits entitlement. It’s estimated that around 25% of benefits go unclaimed. Click here for an easy-to-use on-line Benefits Calculator.


‘Street care and cleaning’ – how to make a request
This service covers litter picking, street cleaning, fly tipping clean-up, and removal of dead animals. The Street care and cleaning South Cambs District Council website provides information on the next visit to our area by the street care team, which works on a ten-week cyclical basis and is managed by South Cambridgeshire District Council Environmental Health. To request special clearance of a hot spot area please contact: streets@scambs.gov.uk.


Access at Royston and Thriplow recycling centres
Cambridgeshire residents now need to apply for a digital permit to use Royston Household Recycling Centre in Hertfordshire. The county council has reached an agreement with Hertfordshire County Council that enables continued cross-border access to Royston Household Recycling Centre for Cambridgeshire residents living close to the county boundary, whilst allowing Hertfordshire residents access to Thriplow Household Recycling Centre in South Cambridgeshire. Resident-only policies are becoming increasingly common across the region and indeed the country, with many neighbouring counties having had this policy in place for some time.

To register for a free permit to access the Royston centre, Cambs residents can go to: www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/recyclingcentrepermits.


Flooding and Potholes
Extraordinary rainfall levels trigger widespread road flooding. It would be very helpful if you know of a blocked field ditch or drain if you could plot it on the CCC website here – and likewise with potholes.

Steeple Morden Parish Council